About Me

My photo
My name is Jeffrey Louis Martinez. Also known as The Buddha Bro! Would you like 2024 to be the year in which you FINALLY started the journey towards ascending into your true Super Heroic Higher Self? Transforming all your Pain Points into your Super Powers! Then creating a new Super Heroic Mindset in which you are being of loving service to yourself and all others! Then please check out The New Age Nerd! It's a daily offering of support, inspiration, and lessons ‘learned along the way.' All mixed together with the perfect geeky dose of ‘MYTHOLOGICAL MAGIC' from our favorite pop cultural passions! With the intention of stepping firmly into our own personal Superhero's Journey, and in the process assisting one another in igniting the Divine BLISS within. So that we may live a life that leaves a lasting Legacy!........ Please keep anything that resonates, and let the rest GO! The Love Light will always be on... Nerdmaste, Jeffrey Louis Martinez

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Why The NEW AGE Nerd.....?!?









It took me some time to conjure up the name I now use for my business The New Age Nerd.  The last  40 years have not always been so kind to the 'New Age' moniker.   In fact, in my opinion, it has gotten a bad rap.  So I thought I would take some time to deconstruct what it means to me, and why I ultimately settled on the term behind this passion that now embodies my complete purpose of being.  You may not agree with some of my beliefs, and that is OK!  It is much more important to me that you at least keep an open mind.  "Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier," said the pioneer writer Dorothea Brande.

According to Wikipedia, the term New Age ‘is applied to a range of spiritual or religious beliefs and practices that developed in Western nations during the 1970s.’   I grew up in the late 70's and 80's.  And the majority of my formative years were ensconced in rather strict Catholic dogma.   Although I respect anything that serves one's soul, and I have seen firsthand how organized religion can do just that, for me, it always felt....  empty.  The rote sermons and ritualistic prayers said during mass had a 'been there, done that' resonance.  Don't get me wrong, every once and a while, a guest priest would show up on a Sunday morning, and step out from behind the pulpit, with a blazingly poignant or fiery soliloquy of spiritual TRUTH that would cause a stirring in my soul.  But the following week, it would be back to the stand, sit, kneel, pray, stand, procession I had grown so accustomed to.  But once again, I knew I was not TOO far off from my eventual calling, as I was twice voted MOST LIKELY to become a priest in my CCD (Continued Catholic Development) classes.  

Like so many others I have met along my path, I prefer the term spiritual to religious when describing my way of being.  Which inevitably brings up the quandary, "What's the difference!"  Those in my circle know that question will quickly illicit the response,  ‘Religion is for people who are afraid to go to Hell.  Spirituality is for people who have ALREADY been there!’   Can I get an AMEN up in here please!!  ;0)

As I am quite sure you have ascertained from my posts, the core element behind my calling is the desire to assist others on their own Hero's/Heroine's Journey.  God knows it took me a quarter of my life to actually step into my TRUE CALLING, and I feel like I have been through life's buffet line of challenges, trauma, and obstacles enough times to perhaps aid others to get thru their line a little faster! 

For my money, it is nearly impossible to think of completing your Hero's Journey without engaging SELF ACTUALIZATION.    The definition of which is ‘the realization or fulfillment of one's talents and potentialities.’    After all, we are all spiritual beings having a human experience, right?!   This term and being of a spiritual or 'New Age’ mindset are thus completely interchangeable in my book.   They both have the same desired result, the need for self fulfillment in mind, body, and spirit!   So, I think you can see why I ultimately decided on using this often mercurial term for my new business!  

Now that we are hopefully clear on our name, in the next post I am going to discuss another term that is the core PHILOSOPHY that instructs the New Age Nerd and its teachings...  
GROUNDED SPIRITUALITY

Nerdmaste,

Jeffrey Louis Martinez


No comments:

Post a Comment